Tuesday 21 August 2012

Happy Birthday

On the 17th of August, one of our residents, Mrs Marjorie Gittings, turned 90 years old.  This milestone was celebrated through a special tea in the Riverlodge 2 lounge.  OT was closed that morning as we were all invited to celebrate with Marjorie and her family.

This beautiful birthday tea reminded me how each and every resident has a life story.  Sometimes we forget that when we spend time with the residents.  We see them when they come to the dining room or to OT or the concerts and hear bits and pieces of their memories and experiences, but we never truly realise that they all have their very own special story...

On Friday, I saw Marjorie in a different role.  I saw her as a mother and a grandmother and I could see how great she must have fulfilled those roles when I listened to the beautiful tear-filled speeches.  I saw her as an active church and community member and heard the testimonies of her friends and fellow church members about  how she changed their lives in a unique way. Her life story became real in front of my eyes and I was amazed by what I saw.

Let's never forget to find each resident's story and treasure it and make it part of our everyday interactions with them.

Happy birthday Marjorie.  May all of our stories one day be as beautiful as yours...


Marjorie and her beautiful card made for her by the church members.



Marjorie's family - from daughter through to great grandchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.